What's wrong over at Catholic Online? -Most Popular Saints List
Catholic Online has recently published their "Popular Saints" list. Now, I normally love Catholic Online, but there is some serious problems with this list! I recognise that Saint Gemma is not very well known, so setting aside my own personal opinion I had not expected her to place in the top 25 most popular saints, but I thought for sure that she would be listed in the top 75...Or, at least the top 100.
So where exactly did Gemma place in the list? Number 196! But how is that possible when in just 3 1/2 years this website has received over one million visitor page loads? (see page hit counter at bottom right corner of page). And so it is that Gemma continues to be the "hidden" Gem of Christ!
And while St Therese the Little Flower is in the top 10 (#7), yet how is it that St Padre Pio is listed only as #30 when a 2006 survey by the Catholic magazine "Famiglia Christiana" showed that more Italians pray to St Padre Pio than to Jesus or the Virgin Mary! And speaking of our Blessed Mother, can you guess where the Mother of God placed? Number 48 of course! SHEEEESH! How is it that the Saint of Saints places #48? And St Faustina Kowalska places #82? I demand a recount!....Seriously though, something has really gone wrong when our Blessed Mother places #48 on a popular Saints list. Yes, something is very, very wrong when that happens! I mean, even apart from due devotion, isn't "Mary" one of the most popular saint names? How many "Mary's" do you know? Even one of my own kids is named Mary! And St John the Baptist is ranked #27! Surely we have all heard of "John" Doe and "Mary" Smith---shoudn't "John" (after St John the Baptist or St John the beloved Apostle) and "Mary" should be on top of a "popular Saints" list? So why is it that St John the Apostle is #71 on their list?
And so, shaking the dust from my feet I have decided to vindicate my favorite Saints and make my own Most Popular Saints list.
Most Popular Saints
1) The Saint of Saints -The most Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God.
2) St John the Baptist (after all, Jesus did say that "I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John the Baptist" -Luke 7:28). And after all, how many "John's" do you know?- Its a popular saint name for sure!
3) St Joseph -The foster father of Jesus and who can count how many are named after him!
4) St Padre Pio -and you thought I would have placed Gemma at #4! (actually she is at 4.5!) But really, St Pio was the only priest-Saint to have ever borne the stigmata--and for 50 years at that!
4.5) St Gemma Galgani (this is, after all, my most popular Saints list!)
5) St Peter -since Jesus chose him to be the head of the Apostles and the first Pope.
6) St Paul -since Jesus chose him to be the apostle to the gentiles--he was imprisoned several times, shipwrecked twice, whipped, stoned...-seriously!, ever look at a map of his many travels in preaching the Gospel? It looks like an air traffic controllers flight map with lines everywhere! This is why he is known as the "indefatigable" prophet.
7) St John the Apostle -He was, after all, Jesus' beloved apostle!
8) St Mary Magdalene -the "sinner from whom Jesus had cast out seven demons” (Mark 16:9) turned penitent saint at the foot of the Cross, and whom the risen Christ first appears on Easter Sunday, making her the “apostle to the apostles”, and the first messenger that Christ has conquered death. She is an extraordinary example of great sinner turned Saint, and therefore a remarkable encouragement for us all.
9) St Therese of Lisieux -Honestly, how can you not love her?
10) St Michael the Archangel -After all, he is the Prince of the heavenly Host!
And surely other popular Saints would include the holy founders and reformers of the Religious Orders in the Church, such as St Benedict, St Dominic, St Augustine, St. Francis, St Paul of the Cross, St Ignatius, St Anthony, St Teresa and St Clare to name just a few...
Now, would you like to add your own popular Saint to this article? Well, this is an open forum, so please feel free to add your favorite Saint in the comment section below.
"You know, oh Jesus how ready I am to sacrifice myself in everything. I will bear every sort of pain for You! I will give every drop of my blood to please Thy Heart and to hinder the outrages of sinners against You." -St Gemma Galgani